Finally, Google has entered the world of ecommerce. Yesterday, Google unveiled Commerce Search which promises to make e-commerce searching as easy as using Google.com.
The release is timed perfectly for the holiday season rush, which happens to be online retailing’s busiest time of the year.
Google Commerce Search is a new enterprise product which allows website owners to power online retailing directly via cloud based product database. According to the New Google Commerce Search area, it aims to:
Improve your shopping experience with fast, intuitive Google search technology.
- Enable visitors to find the right products faster
- Filter results by category, price, brand or other attributes
- Provide user-friendly spelling options and synonyms
- Increase website conversions and sales
- Boost or promote chosen products within search results
- Deploy search solution in days, and scale effortlessly
- Customize, track, and optimize performance
To use Google Commerce Search, users will submit their product data to the Google Merchant Center and Google Product Search. This can be done via direct upload, data feeds or using Google’s API.
User can then go to the Commerce Search administrative console to customize look and feel of the search experience, and also add special offers, promotions and other product/search options.
As with most Google enterprise offerings, there’s extensive reporting to ensure you can optimize the results from your online retailing efforts.
If you want to uncover more detail about Google Commerce Search, watch the video below:
Now before you cancel the subscription to your existing e-commerce software or application, note that the new Google Commerce Search starts at a cool USD$50,000 per year. I’m sure a more affordable model will be released in due course.